Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My Call!

I went to work on Wednesday, April 8 and it was a pretty normal day. On my way home my mom called me and she said she wanted to be on the phone with me in case I got my call. So I went to my mail box and opened it. I saw a big white envelope with the return address from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I was so excited! I was yelling on the phone to my mom and I ran inside! I yelled up at my roommates and told them I got my call. Then I went down to my room. I got off the phone with my mom and called everyone else in my family.
After I was done calling everyone I just stared at it wondering where I would be going. It was pretty thin, so I assumed it would be in the states. but I texted one of my friends who was going to Argentina and his postage was less than mine. So now I was officially confused. I got on facebook and told everyone I received my call and started taking guesses. My most popular guess was Temple Square, which was the only place that I didn't want to go to.
After I was done staring at my call and wondering where I would go, I got dressed and went out to dinner with one of my friends.
That weekend was Easter weekend and I already had a plane ticket to go home, so I waited until I got home to open my call. I got home on Friday, but I had to wait until Saturday to open it. That was the hardest part. I really had no desire to open it without my family, but once I was home I didn't want to wait another day. But of course, I did.
Saturday morning I woke up and started to get ready. Somehow I knew it was Temple Square. Maybe I was being prepared so that I wouldn't be disappointed. I couldn't think of anywhere else, and I just knew in my gut that I would be sent to the one place I didn't want to go. While I was getting ready I just kept saying "I know it's Temple Square." My family kept trying to convince me that it wasn't, or that if it was, it's the place I need to be. My whole family was at my house, and I was still in the bathroom doing my hair and make up.
When I was done, I grabbed my call and sat down on the coffee table. I looked at everyone staring at me. This was it. The contents in this envelope would decide where I would be for the next 18 months of my life. I was so nervous I almost didn't want to open it. I tore open the envelope and wasn't sure how to take my call out without spoiling where I was going. When I got it out I read that it was dated on my Birthday! I was so excited that the Prophet had signed my call on my birthday! I continued to read it with excitement, " You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Utah Salt Lake City Temple Square Mission." A roar of laughter filled the room and disappointment hit me. I finished reading it and my family tried to comfort me by saying it is where the Lord needs me.

It took me a little while to overcome the disappointment. I felt so ungrateful and selfish. I couldn't believe my lack of faith. I got down on my knees and thanked Heavenly Father for the call, apologized for my disappointment, and asked for comfort and faith. I'm not gonna lie, it took a few days for me to start to feel more excitement than disappointment. But now, I know it's where I'm supposed to be. I still have some hard days, especially since I'm leaving in 2 weeks, but when I do I remember the feeling I had when I received my confirmation.
I am so excited to serve the Lord for 18 months. I cannot wait to share the gospel with millions of people at Temple Square! I know that Heavenly Father will bless me and those that I teach because of my sacrifice.
Temple Square, here I come!

1 comment:

  1. Every knew you were going to Temple Square, including you!
    You're going to be an awesome missionary!