Thursday, July 22, 2010

4, 500 & Still Counting!


July 17, 2010

Mom & Dad,

This week was really good. Our mission has a goal of getting 7,000 referrals and potentials this transfer. I honestly didn't think it was possible, but our mission is at 4,500 right now and we still have two-weeks left. I think we will reach our goal!

Did I tell you about how my companion and I got a bunch of potentials? The other day we planned to meet two members in the Tabernacle. So we went there and saw two men sitting down, they looked like they were probably in their 30's. One had served a mission and the other had not. You could tell that they probably weren't fully active in the church. We asked the member who was a return missionary if he would share an experience from his mission with us. When he began to speak the spirit was so strong. We talked to them for about twenty minutes. We invited them to refer a friend so we could contact them through the referral center, but they "couldn't think of anyone." When that happens I then explain how our referral center works. I shared with them how our conversations in the referral center go and after that visitors usually think of someone we could call. The member who didn't serve a mission pulled out his cell phone and started writing numbers down. The member who served a mission even wrote down his parent's name and phone number. When we finished talking with them we looked at the list of potentials they gave us and we counted nine! My companion and I were both amazed by how many referrals we received. We already had a couple potentials from earlier that day and got another one later that night, for a total of 12 potentials in one day!

It is amazing how Heavenly Father blesses us when we plan and how he uses us to be instruments in his hands. I've been reading in chapter 17 of Alma in the Book of Mormon and it talks about the sons of Mosiah being instruments of the Lord. I love verse 11 "And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth among the Lamanites, thy brethren, and establish my word; yet ye shall be patient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls." This work isn't easy, but it is definitely worth it! And with the Lord's help it is possible!

I love you both so much! I can't believe how quickly time is passing. Everyday seems so long, but as I'm on my knees at night praying, I can' believe the day is already over. I love being a missionary and I love serving at Temple Square!

You're in my thoughts and prayers!

Love,

Sister Garbett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers