Saturday, July 17, 2010

God's Tender Mercies!


July 17, 2010

Hey Family.

Last Sunday my companion and I sang “How Great Thou Art” in Sacrament Meeting. It was beautiful! I prayed to invite the spirit with me and it definitely was there! I even saw a few people crying. :) The next day I had my President’s interview with my Mission President. For about five minutes he kept telling me how amazing the song was and to never let my talent go unused. I don't think anyone knew I could sing because almost every sister complimented me afterwards! It was a great experience.

So this week hasn't been full of a ton of miracles like last week, but we had one really good contact just the other day. We met a couple right outside the South Visitor Center (SVC) and asked them if we could show them around. They were from Iowa and had been traveling around the west for the past couple of weeks, because apparently that's what you do when you retire. They also reminded me that I have a LONG time to go before I could ever do that. :) So we took them through the SVC and showed them the new temple display and talked about family and how the temple was built.

We then took them to the Assembly Hall and for some reason I couldn't think of any of the facts that I usually tell during the tour. I was about to freak out when my companion looked at me and started signaling to me that it was my turn to speak. So I just started talking. For some reason, I explained what a typical Sunday service is like for members of the church. I taught about how members of the church are asked in advance to share a talked with the congregation and I explained the three different meetings that take place during the all three-hour block. I don't really know why I started talking about that, but it worked. They asked us a lot of questions, especially about why we are here and what we do.

Then we took them into the Tabernacle. When we got inside there was an International Children’s Choir practicing singing. We got there just in time to hear them sing "The Prayer" It was so beautiful. We didn't really share any facts about the Tabernacle inside. Then we remembered the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was rehearsing that night and invited them to attend their rehearsal. They both said they wanted to go to see the Choir practice. So we walked them over to the Conference Center. Right before we reached the door, I explained to them how as missionaries we have the opportunity to invite others to learn more about our church. I told them that missionaries in their area would love to visit them and teach them more about what we believed. I asked if this is something they would be interested in hearing more about. The woman responded, "It could be." I was actually really surprised because this had not been a typical tour. So we explained what the missionaries do and re-invited and they said they wanted to learn more! I pulled out the referral card and they filled it out. We told them like two more times that the missionaries would contact them, because we were still in shock that they referred. We wanted to make sure they understood. But they definitely understood. We testified of the blessings that will come to them and took them into the Conference Center to watch the Mormon Tabernacle Choir practice.

After my companion and I left them, we were still in shock. It was such a tender mercy of the Lord to place them in our path. We were so grateful for the opportunity to find that prepared couple. It just goes to show when people are prepared all you have to do is invite the spirit, and then invite them!

Things are going great! Thanks mom for keeping my blog current for me! Let everyone know I’m really being obedient and it’s you keeping my blog and checking my facebook.

I love you so much! You’re in my thoughts and prayers!

Love,

Sister Garbett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers