Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Moroni's Promise


January 22, 2010

Mommy & Daddy,

I was so happy to talk to both of you online today. You seriously are the best parents ever! I love e-mailing when you guys are on.

This week has been ok. We really haven’t been seeing too much success. We have had a few really good tours, but for some reason, they’re not referring.

Monday we were in the South Visitor’s Center and a man came in to visit. He was probably in his 40s, very clean cut and here for business. His name was Andrew. He walked right up to us and asked for a tour. We took him through the Construction of the Temple, Assembly Hall, Tabernacle, the Christus and to the Book of Mormon display. We taught him about eternal families, prophets, restoration, Jesus Christ, and the Book of Mormon. The Spirit was super strong. We found out he has two children, but wasn’t married. When we were at the Book of Mormon display we taught him about how the Book of Mormon and the Bible both testify of Jesus Christ. I testified of how much it has blessed me in my life. I invited him to receive a Book of Mormon and have the missionaries visit him and teach him. He respectfully declined. I was so sad. I was sure he would want a Book of Mormon. He was picking one up and looking at it and everything. I re-testified and told him he had nothing to lose and told him about Moroni’s promise. Then I re-invited and he said no again. I couldn’t believe it! Why wouldn’t someone want a free book to learn even more about their Savior? I asked if he was staying here in Salt Lake City and he said yes. So, I encouraged him to look at the Book of Mormon in his hotel room. He said he would.

The next day I was telling one of the sisters here at Temple Square what happened and I was on the verge of tears. Ever since I’ve been re-reading the Book of Mormon, my testimony has grown so much! I can’t understand why people won’t just pick up this book and read it for themselves!

On a little happier note, I did see some success in the Referral Center (RC). I don’t know if I told you but the member who came to Temple Square a couple of weeks ago. His name is Landon. He just got off his mission a few weeks prior to visiting the Square. He was really missing his mission. I realized that’s how I want to be when I get home. He gave me two of his friend’s names to call. The other day I called his friend, Jeff. I was a little nervous to call him for some reason and I had put if off for a while. When I finally called Jeff I told him my name and that I was calling on behalf of his friend Landon. I heard a lot of people in the background so I asked if there was a better time to call back and he told me to call him back in a half-a-hour.

I called him back about 45 minutes later and he answered! I’m not gonna lie, I was surprised. I told him who I was and that I met Landon a couple weeks ago and that he wanted me to send him a free DVD. Jeff said “Yeah, why not?” I was so happy! I continued to talk to him and told him we had missionaries just like me and like Landon, who had just finished serving a mission. I explained how they would come and share a message that means so much to me. I asked if that would be ok. He said “Yeah that’s fine.” And then added, “I actually just ran into the Elders on my way home.” He didn’t get to talk to them but talk about being prepare! I was so happy that he accepted the missionaries! Another good thing was when I followed up with a call to Landon he, too, was so happy. Sometime the members who refer don’t even seem happy when I call back and tell them their friend accepted the missionaries! I know, they’re crazy!

I really felt like that whole call was guided by the Spirit of the Holy Ghost on both ends. I felt comfortable and built a relationship, which made it easier for me to invite. It also makes them more likely to refer.

This gospel is true! I know with all my heart that the Book of Mormon is true and that it was translated by the power of God though Joseph Smith. I know that through temples families can and will be together forever! I am so grateful that the sealing power that binds families here on earth seals them together in Heaven for all eternity! I know my Savior lives! I know that through Him we can return to live with our Heavenly Father again.

You are the greatest parents in the whole world! I love you so Much!!!

Love,

Sister Garbett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers