Saturday, October 30, 2010

Conference Weekend


October 10, 2010

Mom & Dad,

Wasn’t conference great! Our mission goal was to get 2000 referrals and we got over 2,500! It was super busy and we were so tired afterwards! We got to sleep in till nine on Monday and Tuesday! It was great seeing Steven and Angelina and the kids. The kids are getting so big! I couldn’t believe how tall Rowan is. I didn’t get to spend much time with them because we were only allowed to spend no more than ten minutes on each contact, but it was so great seeing family! I saw them as they were coming to the tabernacle to watch conference.

There are always so many people at conference. My companion and I contacted lots of people and we received 46 referrals. My companion is doing really well. She is so much fun and we have a great time together. She is coming along great and is working hard.

Ok, really cool story. I talked to a few Return Missionaries on conference weekend. They were so cool and they helped me a lot. I asked how their adjustment back to "normal" life was and they gave me a lot of advice. The main thing they said was to have a plan and to stay busy. One of the guys gave me a referral. It was funny, because originally he said he didn't have anyone. Then he looked through his phone and gave me an old friend from high school. He said that it might be kind of weird because he never really knew this girl and she probably wouldn't even remember him. But I told him I would love to call her anyway.

So I called her yesterday and a man answered. I asked for Alexia and he said, "No, there's no Alexia here. Maybe this was her old number." So I just started talking to him and he was SO open. He asked if I was in Colorado (because that's where he is) and I told him I was in Utah and I was serving a mission. I asked if he had ever seen missionaries and he said he usually saw them wearing suits and riding bikes. I laughed and said, "Yep that's them!" He told me he was in the army and I said, "Thanks for your service, man!" (My companion got a kick out of that) Anyway we talked and I found out he is from Sacramento! Small world! He has been in the army for eight years and is married and has a three-year-old son. So we just kept talking about the army, missionaries, church, and I invited him to have missionaries visit him and teach him more and he said yes! Then I asked if I could call him another day and teach him more until the missionaries in his area contact him, and he said yes! We have a Chat appointment with him tomorrow night!

Man! It was seriously one of the coolest things that has ever happened to me! Heavenly Father gives the best tender mercies!

I love you both! This church is true! I love this work!!!

You’re in my prayers always!

Love,

Sister Garbett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers