Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"I'm Trying To Be Like Jesus"


Sept 12, 2009

Mommy,

Well, I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little sad that you're not online and that I didn’t get an e-mail from ANYONE this week... Saturday we don't get mail so I love e-mails.. but this week I didn’t get anything. Oh well, I guess I'm not in my 1st transfer anymore so people start to forget about me.

This week has been good. My new companion, Sister Green, and I get along great. We talk about lots of things and we laugh all the time. We work hard together too. She is such a great example to me and I am learning a lot from her. We have seen lots of miracles this week. We give tours in the Beehive house and that’s where we talk about plural marriage. I was really nervous to talk about that, but I have really gained a testimony of why it was necessary. It is pretty neat to give a tour in such an old house with so many antiques.

I like giving tours at the humanitarian center too. We mainly give tours to members. Last Tuesday we gave a tour to a YM/YW group from a Ward in Provo. It was a lot of fun. I love the youth. The Bishop also asked us to bear our testimony of why we are on missions. It was so great, because there were so many YW there. I hope some of them decide to serve a mission because of us.

Another thing we do a lot is present and contact at the Joseph Smith movie. That is interesting. We're still trying to figure out the most effective way to do that. But last night there were missionaries from the Salt Lake Mission who brought a part member family. We were getting ready to go home and one of the Elders asked us to bear our testimony on baptism to the two children who are preparing for baptism. I told them that one thing I remember about my baptism was the song we sang "I'm trying to be like Jesus." I told them that was my favorite song and how when I was baptized I felt like I was being just like Jesus and how happy I felt for doing that. The spirit was really strong when I told this story. I know I was prompted to say what I said, because I had no idea what I was going to say until I opened my mouth.

I love being a missionary! I love sharing my happiness with so many people. People come up to us all the time and say how much they admire what we do. The other day we had a couple that came on a tour and said they hope that more young women will be more like us. They also said that we don’t have to say anything, but when we walk outside people know who we are and they know what we represent. They weren't even members!

I know I am doing exactly what the Lord wants me to be doing! I love it here! This is such an amazing mission! I love you so much! Keep writing me! I haven’t heard from you all week :(

I love you

Love,
Sister Garbett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers