Friday, September 25, 2009

"Is It A Thong?"


Sept 19, 2009

Mommy,

I love you! I was so glad that I got some e-mails today. It sounds like things are going pretty well for you all. I heard you and daddy got to be the witness couple at the Temple last week. That is so special. I miss going to the temple with you. We have had a lot of schedule conflicts, so I haven’t gone to the temple in about a month. I am having withdrawals.

How is the cabin? I heard about you sleeping all day at the cabin and I got really jealous. I miss sleep. I never feel fully rested. I never wake up in a good mood either. I feel sorry for my companion. I have to remind myself every morning that obedience is better than sleep.

We had a really funny experience this past week. We were on a tour in the Beehive house. We were in a very small room with about 15 people. One of the group members was a woman who was probably over 60 years-old. She asked us why the men in the church wear special underwear. My companion, Sister Green, explained that not only men but women, too, who have gone through the temple wear special under garments. She added that we wear them to remind us of the promises we made to God. All of the people were asking lots of questions about the garments. They asked what do they look like and Sister Green answered they are white. They then asked why the underclothing was white. Sister Green said to symbolize purity. Then the older woman asked in complete sincerity, “Is it a thong!?” HA, HA, HA!!! Both Sister Green and I couldn’t help but laugh. If they weren’t so genuinely curious, I would have probably gotten very upset. But Sister Green handled the situation very well.

We definitely get every question you could possibly think of. A mission is a very interesting experience, but I love it. Going on a mission really was the best choice I’ve ever made. I have grown so much already.

I’ve really been learning how much Heavenly Father loves us. He really does want to bless us and answer our prayers, but we need to have faith enough to act. Just like Nephi, the brother of Jared and even Joseph Smith. We need to have faith, but faith is an action word. That’s what separates the prepared and those who are not yet ready to receive the gospel. If they are not going to act, why should they receive that knowledge? I think that’s why sometimes our prayers aren’t answered.

Heavenly Father’s plan is absolutely perfect. I am so happy to know about His plan. Sometimes as I testify that we lived with Heavenly Father before we came to earth and that we can live with him again after this life, I feel so close to the veil. Thank you so much for raising me with this knowledge and understanding of who I am. We really are all children of God. This is why I’m here, to help everyone find their way back home.

I admire you so much for your ability to find the church and your willingness to act and to stay strong in the gospel. You are my rock. You have such an incredible testimony. Thank you for your example and support. You and dad are the BEST parents in the whole world!

I LOVE YOU!

Love,

Sister Garbett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers